What Is The Multilin 859?
The Multilin 859 Motor Protection System is a protection device for managing, protecting, and controlling medium to large horsepower motors. With a fast protection pass, running every 1/8th of a cycle, the 859 relay provides fast current, voltage, power, and frequency protection elements; reducing stress on the motor. The Multilin 859 supports the latest standard communications protocols, including IEC 62439/PRP and IEC 61850 Ed. 2; facilitating easy integration into new and existing SCADA/DCS networks (GE Grid Solutions, 1).
The Multilin 859 is specifically designed for the protection and management of medium and large power rating induction motors. This member of the Multilin 8 Series protective relay platform has been built as a direct replacement for GE’s existing range of Multilin motor protection relays including the 169, 269, 269Plus, and 369 devices.
Key Benefits Of The Multilin 859
The 859 is based on the same field-proven hardware, protection, and control algorithms as the Multilin 8 Series. Hence, it delivers advanced features like high-speed protection, customizable programmable logic, and advanced motor monitoring and diagnostics. Operationally focused motor management and control are enabled by the detailed communication capabilities of the 859. These features are all included in a fixed mount with a slim design that easily integrates into new or existing process control systems.
GE Grid Solutions explains key benefits of the Multilin 859 including:
- Utilizing GE’s proven Thermal Model for reliable protection of AC induction motors
- With a depth of 3.5″, the 859 is ideal for MCCs with shallow depths or space constraints
- The detachable display can be mounted up to 15 feet away from the device, allowing for greater installation flexibility
- Large graphical color LCD enhanced operability, with user-configurable single line diagrams for local control, system status, and metering
- Integrated condition monitoring based on Electrical Signature Analysis, delivering detailed monitoring & analytics for extended motor life
- CyberSentry™ Advanced Security including features such as AAA, Radius, RBAC, and Syslog. helping to enable NERC® CIP compliance
- Safe and reliable motor re-start on ‘down hole’ pump applications. Unique backspin detection feature detects flow reversal on a pump motor, enabling timely and safe motor restarting
- Single setup & configuration software, reducing training & commissioning time
- Customer Support available 24/7, available in multiple languages
Multilin 859 motor protection relay functional block diagram
This device offers integrated, cost-effective monitoring and diagnostics features that leverage existing relay data without the need for additional devices, sensors, wiring, and training. The 859 offers monitoring, cyber security, software, and diagnostic benefits as well.
Learn more about the 859 Motor Protection System on the GE Grid Solutions article linked: HERE
(All information comes from GE Grid Solutions’ extensive, informational, web article. Visit the above link to learn more)
Leave a Comment